Commonly Asked Questions

My mother has Alzheimer's Disease. She already gets help from one of EIM's providers but I am her primary caregiver and I'm there seven days a week. I've been doing this for a long time and I feel like I'm really close to "burn-out." Are there any options for me? Answer: Your EIM Care Coordinator can assist you with information about arranging respite, either in the home or in a nursing facility, if the consumer qualifies based on the EIM program they are eligible for. Call your Care Coordinator and ask about respite options. You can also contact your local Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) for dementia or Alzheimer's resources.

My father is getting services through EIM but his Personal Care Assistant is often late. He would really like to change to a different caregiver. What do we do? Answer: First, contact the Personal Care Assistant provider directly to discuss the problem and make an effort to resolve it. If you do not feel that the situation has been resolved, call your EIM Care Coordinator (CC). The CC is there to provide you with assistance in changing caregivers or choosing a new Personal Care Assistant provider if needed.

My father has been receiving home care services through EIM for two years. I'm thankful that he has been able to stay in his apartment for this long. But now he really needs nursing facility placement. What do we do? Answer: Your EIM Care Coordinator can arrange for a new medical assessment from Maximus for your father to see if he qualifies medically for nursing facility placement. The Office of Aging and Disability Services is also a great resource in your search for the right nursing facility. Type into your internet browser. 

I have some questions about whether or not my wife and I will qualify for home care, but I want to talk with someone first. It's all so confusing who do I turn to? Answer: Whenever you have questions about home care for yourself, a family member, or someone for whom you have responsibility, you can call your local Area Agency on Aging and ask to speak to someone in the Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC). A staff person can guide you through the process of obtaining long term care services in the home.

Who do I call if I am looking for information regarding:

  • services and resources for the elderly or disabled
  • healthcare facilities

Answer: Please contact your local Area Agency on Aging and ask to speak to someone in the Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC), as they can provide you with informative brochures and booklets which will be mailed to you at your request.

My sister is currently receiving services in the home under the Home Based Care (HBC) program. She was recently hospitalized after falling in the home and breaking her left hip. We are not clear whether or not she will be returning home for quite some time. What do we do? Answer: When the status of a consumer changes, always notify her Care Coordinator (CC) at EIM. The CC will review the options with your sister and provide her with the information she needs to make informed decisions about her services. The CC will also notify all of the providers so that they do not continue going to her home to provide services. When a consumer is hospitalized, they are suspended from receiving services under the HBC program (or any of our 3 long term care programs); that suspension period cannot be longer than 60 days. If your sister is expected to be hospitalized for longer than 60 days, she will be discharged from the HBC program and will need to be reassessed before receiving services in the home again. Your sister will be subject to the HBC Waitlist if there is one in effect. In any case, always keep her CC informed about her status.

My father has been found eligible for one of the EIM Long Term Care (LTC) programs. He is still quite capable of managing his own affairs and was told that he might be able to manage his own services. Could you explain how that works? Answer: If you are eligible for an EIM-managed LTC program, the Family Provider Service Option (FPSO) may be of interest to you. The Option allows an adult, 21 years or older, to register as a personal care agency solely for the purpose of managing the adult's own services or solely for managing the services of no more than two of his/her family members. The FPSO Employer hires and directs workers, works with a fiscal intermediary to provide payment to workers, keeps consumer and personnel records, maintains workers' compensation insurance (paid for with program funds), works closely with an EIM care coordinator, and complies with program rules and regulations.

My mother has been hospitalized recently and may eventually have to go into a nursing facility. She will be coming home in a couple weeks. She's never had services in her home before. How do we arrange home services for my mom? Answer: Speak with the social worker/discharge planner at the hospital or nursing facility. S/he has home care options for your mother. Your mom's doctor may order Medicare services for the short term to manage an acute situation. However, if your mother will need long term care services in the home, ask the facility social worker about getting a long term care assessment from a Maximus nurse assessor. The assessor will determine whether or not your mother is eligible for home care services that can be paid by Medicaid or by Maine's Home Based Care program. You may also contact Maximus directly when your mother has returned home and she needs home care. If your mom is found eligible for services then she will be contacted by EIM.